Steven P. Monaghan Esq.
Steven P. Monaghan Esq.
Mr. Monaghan is one of the top divorce attorneys in New Jersey, and he has experience in all aspects of New Jersey divorce law, including divorce litigation, mediation and collaborative law practice. He has been in the private practice of law for over 21 years. He is one of the few New Jersey attorneys who have been certified as a Matrimonial Law Attorney by the Supreme Court of New Jersey (2006). This designation by the Supreme Court is limited to attorneys who have demonstrated a substantial involvement in matrimonial trial matters, have an unblemished reputation as attested by judges and attorneys, have a substantial involvement in continuing education, and have passed a rigorous written examination on matrimonial law. Mr. Monaghan has been recognized and honored by his peers as a preeminent family law attorney. He has been named to the Super Lawyers list seven times, twice as one of the Top Young Attorneys in New Jersey (2006, 2007) and five times as one of the Top Attorneys in New Jersey (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2015). Mr. Monaghan has been named as being in the Top One Percent (1%) of attorneys in the United States by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. He been named one of the 10 Best Family Law Attorneys in New Jersey by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, and received a 2015 Client Satsfaction Award from the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys. He was named a Top 100 Family Law Attorney in the State of New Jersey by the American Society of Legal Advocates.
Mr. Monaghan has served on the Monmouth County Family Law Committee, which is a committee established through the Monmouth County Bar Association to provide input to the Court regarding Family Court practices and procedures. He serves the Court as an arbitrator for divorce cases in the Matrimonial Early Settlement Panel Programfor nearly 15 years, and he has arbitrated countless cases as a Matrimonial Early Settlement Panelist, an Intensive Settlement Panelist and as a private arbitrator. Mr. Monaghan has been qualified as a mediator by the State of New Jersey, and he participates in the Mediation Program for Economic Aspects of Family Law cases since the inception fo the program. He is one of the most sought after attorneys to mediate high divorce cases for the Court. Since 2007, he has been appointed by various New Jersey Family Court Judges or selected by his fellow attorneys over 425 times to resolve high conflict cases prior to trial. He has also been appointed by the Court to serve as Guardian Ad Litem, where he provides recommendations and assists Family Court judges in making custody determining that are in children's best interests.
Mr. Monaghan has also served as a Master Instructor in the Monmouth-Ocean County Family Law Inns of Court, which is an instructional/mentoring organization for family law attorneys. He has also served as a member of the Monmouth County Bar Association Committee on Professionalism. Mr. Monaghan is also active in Collaborative Practice, and he is a founding member of the Jersey Shore Collaborative Law Group (2005). Mr. Monaghan is also a member of the New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators.
Mr. Monaghan is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association, Family Law Section, American Bar Association, Family Law Section, and the Monmouth County Bar Association. In addition to the Family Law Committee, Mr. Monaghan has served in the Monmouth Bar Association Committee on Professionalism and the Courthouse Facilities Committee. He is a member of the Bars of the State of New Jersey, United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States. He also has served on the Middletown Township Zoning Board of Adjustment. He presently serves as a Trustee for the Middletown Township Public Library, and he was previously Vice President of the Board. He earned a B.A. in 1990 from Monmouth College and he received his J.D. in 1993 from Louisiana State University.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Divorce Law
- Divorce Litigation
- Collaborative Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Matrimonial Law Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey, 2006
- Qualified Mediator , State of New Jersey
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- J.D. - 1993
- Monmouth College, New Jersey
- B.A. - 1990
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers, Top Young Attorneys in New Jersey, 2006 - 2007
- Super Lawyers, Top Attorneys in New Jersey, 2009 - 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Monmouth County Bar Association, Member
- Monmouth Bar Association Committee on Professionalism and the Courthouse Facilities Committee
- Monmouth County Bar Association Committee on Professionalism
- Monmouth County Bar Association, Monmouth County Family Law Committee
- Monmouth-Ocean County Family Law Inns of Court, Master Instructor
- Matrimonial Early Settlement Panel Program, Arbitrator for Divorce Cases
- Mediation Program for Economic Aspects of Family Law Cases
- Jersey Shore Collaborative Law Group, Founding Member
- New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- Middletown Township Zoning Board of Adjustment