Physical Custody in New Jersey
Red Bank Child Custody Attorneys
The decision where and with whom your child will live the majority of the time, after your divorce, ideally will be made by both parents and sanctioned by the court, determined in the child's best interest. Usually it is one of the parents and that person is the custodial parent.
The court also recognizes the need for the noncustodial parent (also referred to as the "parent of secondary or alternative residence) to have time with the child, unless there are major issues (like a history of domestic abuse) that would make such a decision contrary to the child's best interest.
Deciding these very important issues requires the assistance of the experienced Red Bank divorce attorneys at the Law Office of Steven P. Monaghan, LLC. Call (732) 624-6343 to schedule your free initial consultation.
Types of Physical Custody in New Jersey
In making a determination of physical (and legal) custody, a New Jersey court will consider several factors established in law. They include:
- Both parents cooperation when deciding on issues for their children
- The willingness or unwillingness in the past to accept custody arrangements
- The relationship of the parents to their children
- If there has been domestic violence in the past
- The child's preference, if they are old enough
- The child's needs
- The stability of each parents' home
- Educational needs of the child
- Health concerns regarding each parent
- The proximity of each home to each other
- The quality of time spent with both parents
- Each parent's other obligations and responsibilities
No matter how the divorcing parents feel about each other, deciding who has physical custody of the child should always be made in the child's best interest.
Want to Be Sure Your Child's Best Interests Are Protected? Call Us.
Because we have been helping parents like you make sure that the decision regarding physical custody is the very best for the child for more than 18 years, we can help you, too.
Contact the experienced Red Bank child custody lawyers at the Law Office of Steven P. Monaghan, LLC at (732) 624-6343, or go online to schedule your free initial consultation.