Monmouth County Alimony Attorney
Whether You Hope To Receive Or Expect To Pay, We Can Help
Spousal support, also known as alimony, is not a guarantee in New Jersey divorce cases. To make the matter even more complicated, there are no clear-cut guidelines as to when it should be paid and how much the amount should be. When dealing with a gray area of the law like this, it is important that you choose a seasoned lawyer to handle your case. At the Law Office of Steven P. Monaghan, LLC, you can benefit from our experienced team led by a Monmouth County alimony lawyer who has been listed in Super Lawyers year after year.
For help with alimony or spousal support issues in Red Bank, contact us to schedule a free consultation with a skilled alimony attorney from the Law Office of Steven P. Monaghan, LLC.
The Basic Legal Principles That Apply
While there are no spousal support guidelines, there are some basic legal principles that apply. However, there are certain factors that should be taken into consideration. They are similar to the factors that come into play when determining how property is divided, and often these two issues are addressed simultaneously and dependently.
Factors That Determine Alimony in New Jersey
This determination, as well as the determination of the type, amount of support or its duration, is made by applying a number of factors.
These factors can include, but are not limited to:
- The need of both parties and their ability to pay
- The age of each party and their mental and physical health
- The education levels and/or vocational skills of both parties
- The earning capacity of both parties including how long the party seeking alimony has been out of the job market and the time it will take for them to train for and find a job
- The ability of each party to maintain a similar standard of living as they had during the marriage
- Any responsibilities each parent has toward their child or children
- The contributions to child care and the marriage
- The distribution of property in the divorce agreement
- Additional income available to each party in non-marital accounts or investments
- Any tax consequences to both parties
- Any other factors the court may deem appropriate
If you think you should receive alimony, contact our Monmouth County alimony lawyer. We can help. Call the Law Offices of Steven P. Monaghan, LLC at (732) 624-6343 or fill out our secure online form. Your first consultation is free.
There are also many circumstances that can trigger the modification of alimony, including, but not limited to:
- An increase in expenses
- Cohabitation of the receiving spouse
- A good faith retirement
- An increase or decrease in the supporting spouse's income
- Illness and/or disability of the supporting spouse
When making decisions regarding awarding alimony or spousal support in a divorce, the court will consider a number of factors. There is no formula or guideline like there is for determining child support.
With over six decades of combined experience under our belts, our New Jersey alimony lawyers can assist you with with all regular alimony issues, as well as the more unique and challenging issues that may arise in high net worth divorce cases.
Types of Alimony In NJ
We are well versed in the various types of alimony available, including permanent, rehabilitative and limited duration alimony. In order to determine which type — if any — of alimony makes the most sense in your case, and the amount, we take the time to carefully review your circumstances and goals. When needed, we can assist with the termination of alimony.
Contact Us for a Free Initial Consultation
Call our Monmouth County alimony lawyers today at (732) 624-6343 to get started with our skilled and compassionate team. We help people in Red Bank and the surrounding areas!
Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey
Practicing Family Law Exclusively
Over 60 Years of Combined Experience
Recognized & Trusted by the New Jersey Community
Free In-Person Consultations