Issues for Unmarried Parents

Helping Monmouth County Families Do What is Best for Their Children

Dealing with custody, parenting time and child support are not issues unique to divorcing spouses. Many times, unmarried parents face these issues, too, and need assistance from dedicated Monmouth County family law attorneys.

In the New Jersey family court system, these issues between unmarried couples are resolved similar to divorcing couples. However, since there is no marriage being dissolved, these cases for are called "non-dissolution" cases.

Married people can also file a nondissolution case, too, if they want to address child custody, parenting time, child support or spousal support issues but do not want a divorce.

How Nondissolution Cases Work in NJ

A nondissolution case is started by filing a complaint. The complaint can address any issue between the couple; however, it usually pertains to paternity, custody, parenting time or child support. There is no court filing fee for filing a nondissolution case.

Once the complaint is filed, here is how the process works:

  • Consent conference: The case may first be sent to a consent conference. Somewhat similar to a mediation, a consent conference is a meeting between the parents and a court representative. Or the issue may be presented to a hearing officer.
  • Appear before a judge: If the case is not resolved at the consent conference and/or by the hearing officer, the parents can appear before a judge who will make a ruling. At this point in the process, the parents may seek rights of discovery, experts, custody evaluations and any other discovery or litigation tool similar to divorce litigation.

Have a Child or Spousal Support Issue and Don't Want Divorce? Call Us.

If you have an issue regarding custody, parenting time, child support or spousal support, and it does not involve a divorce, talk to the nondissolution lawyers at the Law Office of Steven P. Monaghan, LLC in Monmouth County. With over 60 years of combined experience, we can provide knowledgeable guidance!

Your first consultation is always free. To get started, call us today at
(732) 624-6343.

Issues for Unmarried Parents

Clients First. Quality Always.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Put Us On Your Side