Steven P. MonaghanAttorney
Steven P. Monaghan, Esq., is a family law and matrimonial attorney with extensive experience in all areas of divorce law, including litigation, mediation and collaborative law. A practicing attorney for over 24 years, Mr. Monaghan has been Certified in Matrimonial Law by the Supreme Court of State of New Jersey since 2006. (Recertification 2011, 2016). This designation is held by a limited number of attorneys who pass a rigorous test on matrimonial law, and who hold the highest reputation amongst fellow attorneys and the judiciary in New Jersey.
Attorney Steven Monaghan holds a Perfect 10.0 Superb Rating from the Avvo attorney rating organization. He has been designated as a Top 100 Family Law Attorney for the State of New Jersey by the American Society of Legal Advocates. He has received a 2015 and 2016 Client Satisfaction Award from the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, and has been recognized as being in the Top One Percent of Attorneys by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel.
Click the buttons in the menu to learn more about Attorney Monaghan's education, accolades, and professional associations!
Attorney Monaghan is committed to alternative dispute resolution, and he is active as both a matrimonial litigator and mediator. He is officially qualified as a mediator by the State of New Jersey and has served as a member of the New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators (2010-2014). He has been a participating mediator for the Economic Aspects of Family Law Cases since the inception of the program in New Jersey, and he has been appointed by the Court over 550 times since 2007 to mediate high conflict cases prior to trial.
He has served as an arbitration panelist in the Matrimonial Settlement Panel on countless occasions throughout the years. He also has been routinely appointed as an Intensive Settlement Panelist and he has arbitrated countless cases as a private arbitrator, MESP panelist and ISP panelist. He has also been appointed by the Court in custody cases as a Guardian Ad Litem on behalf of the children, as well as a Parenting Coordinator. Mr. Monaghan was a founding member of the Jersey Shore Collaborative Law Group (2005) and is still active in collaborative divorce practice has served as a member of the Collaborative Divorce Professionals (2016-2017)
Mr. Monaghan has also served as a Master Instructor for the Ocean-Monmouth County Family Law American Inns of Court (2013-2016) where he served as a mentor and instructor to younger attorneys in the area of family law.
He was admitted to practice in the State of Louisiana (1993, inactive) and is currently admitted in New Jersey (1996), the United States Supreme Court, the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey and the United States Court of Appeals for both the 3rd and 5th Circuits. Mr. Monaghan has also been a member of the Family Law Sections of the New Jersey State Bar Association and the Family Law Section of the American Bar Association. He is a member of the Monmouth Bar Association.
Active in community organizations, Mr. Monaghan has served on the Interlaken Planning and Zoning Board (2003-2004) and the Middletown Township Zoning Board of Adjustment (2012). He has also served on the Board of Trustees for the Library of Middletown Township, New Jersey (2012-2016), where he has served as both the Vice President and President of the Board. In 2017, he was appointed to a three year term as a Municipal Court Judge for Middletown Township.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Matrimonial Law Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey, 2006
- Qualified Mediator , State of New Jersey
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- J.D. - 1993
Monmouth College, New Jersey
- B.A. - 1990
Awards & Honors
- Recognition on the Super Lawyers® list seven times
- As a Top Young Attorney in New Jersey twice in 2006 and 2007
- As a Top Attorney in New Jersey five times in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2015
- Top One Percent of attorneys in the United States by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- The 10 Best Family Law Attorneys in New Jersey by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
- Client Satisfaction Award from the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys in 2015
- A Top 100 Family Law Attorney in the State of New Jersey by the American Society of Legal Advocates
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Monmouth County Bar Association, Member
- Monmouth Bar Association Committee on Professionalism and the Courthouse Facilities Committee
- Monmouth County Bar Association Committee on Professionalism
- Monmouth County Bar Association, Monmouth County Family Law Committee
- Monmouth-Ocean County Family Law Inns of Court, Master Instructor
- Matrimonial Early Settlement Panel Program, Arbitrator for Divorce Cases
- Mediation Program for Economic Aspects of Family Law Cases
- Jersey Shore Collaborative Law Group, Founding Member
- New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member