Steven P. MonaghanAttorney
Steven P. Monaghan is a family law and matrimonial attorney with extensive experience in all areas of divorce law, including litigation, mediation and collaborative law. A practicing attorney for over 25 years, Mr. Monaghan has been Certified in Matrimonial Law by the Supreme Court of State of New Jersey since 2006. (Recertification 2011, 2016). This designation is held by a limited number of attorneys who pass a rigorous test on matrimonial law, and who hold the highest reputation amongst fellow attorneys and the judiciary in New Jersey.
Attorney Monaghan is committed to alternative dispute resolution, and he is active as both a matrimonial litigator and mediator. He is officially qualified as a mediator by the State of New Jersey and has served as a member of the New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators (2010-2014). He has been a participating mediator for the Economic Aspects of Family Law Cases since the inception of the program in New Jersey, and he has been appointed by the Court over 550 times since 2007 to mediate high conflict cases prior to trial.
He has served as an arbitration panelist in the Matrimonial Settlement Panel on countless occasions throughout the years. He also has been routinely appointed as an Intensive Settlement Panelist and he has arbitrated countless cases as a private arbitrator, MESP panelist and ISP panelist. He has also been appointed by the Court in custody cases as a Guardian Ad Litem on behalf of the children, as well as a Parenting Coordinator. Mr. Monaghan was a founding member of the Jersey Shore Collaborative Law Group (2005) and is still active in collaborative divorce practice has served as a member of the Collaborative Divorce Professionals (2016-2017)
Mr. Monaghan has also served as a Master Instructor for the Ocean-Monmouth County Family Law American Inns of Court (2013-2016) where he served as a mentor and instructor to younger attorneys in the area of family law.
He was admitted to practice in the State of Louisiana (1993, inactive) and is currently admitted in New Jersey (1996), the United States Supreme Court, the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey and the United States Court of Appeals for both the 3rd and 5th Circuits. Mr. Monaghan has also been a member of the Family Law Sections of the New Jersey State Bar Association and the Family Law Section of the American Bar Association. He is a member of the Monmouth Bar Association.
Active in community organizations, Mr. Monaghan has served on the Interlaken Planning and Zoning Board (2003-2004) and the Middletown Township Zoning Board of Adjustment (2012). He has also served on the Board of Trustees for the Library of Middletown Township, New Jersey (2012-2016), where he has served as both the Vice President and President of the Board. In 2017, he was appointed to a three-year term as a Municipal Court Judge for Middletown Township.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Matrimonial Law Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey, 2006
- Qualified Mediator, State of New Jersey
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- J.D. - 1993
Monmouth College, New Jersey
- B.A. - 1990
Awards & Honors
- Recognition on the Super Lawyers® list seven times*
- As a Top Young Attorney in New Jersey twice in 2006 and 2007
- As a Top Attorney in New Jersey five times in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2015
- Top One Percent of attorneys in the United States by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel*
- The 10 Best Family Law Attorneys in New Jersey by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys*
- Client Satisfaction Award from the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys in 2015*
- A Top 100 Family Law Attorney in the State of New Jersey by the American Society of Legal Advocates*
*Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. This selection process includes independent research, peer nominations, and peer evaluations. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court.
*Membership selection for the NADC is rigorous. After having been nominated for membership, the research team evaluates factors which include, but are not limited to the following: firm profile and reputation, years of practice, education, training, trial experience, case outcomes, peer endorsements, client reviews, professional awards, professional memberships, leadership in legal organizations, community involvement, disciplinary status, and other noteworthy achievements.A blue-ribbon panel of attorneys studies the results provided by the NADC research team. These attorneys, having achieved podium status in their own right by multiple independent organizations, separate and apart from the NADC, are specially positioned with the perspective and knowledge in selecting “Nation’s Top Attorneys.” No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court.
* Many aspects of the Attorney and his/her career are considered before giving the 10 Best Family Law Attorneys in New Jersey award by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys. They must be formally nominated by the institute, client, and/or peer, must have an impeccable Client Rating rating, must not have faced or been subject to any attorney grievance committee discipline, must be a member in good standing of their state bar, must have excellent client/peer reviews, possess advanced degrees, awards received professional associations and their activity in such associations, publications in their field, and speaking engagements in their field. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court.
* The Client Satisfaction Award from the American Institute of Family Law Attorney awardis given to attorneys based on a formal nomination by the Institute, client, and/or fellow Attorney, having attained the highest degree of professional achievement in his or her field of law and having done so with an impeccable client satisfaction rating. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court.
* ASLA’s lawyers comprehensively review available information for each candidate, including a review of firm websites, client assessments, and publicly-available filings, which may include: verdicts, settlement information, and information regarding transactions. Each candidate is assessed based on such criteria as educational accomplishments, involvement, and leadership in bar associations and professional organizations, activities within their community, and demonstrated legal achievement. In the case of younger lawyers, ASLA also evaluates indications of developing success, both in a candidate’s day-to-day practice and in serving the profession. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Monmouth County Bar Association, Member
- Monmouth Bar Association Committee on Professionalism and the Courthouse Facilities Committee
- Monmouth County Bar Association Committee on Professionalism
- Monmouth County Bar Association, Monmouth County Family Law Committee
- Monmouth-Ocean County Family Law Inns of Court, Master Instructor
- Matrimonial Early Settlement Panel Program, Arbitrator for Divorce Cases
- Mediation Program for Economic Aspects of Family Law Cases
- Jersey Shore Collaborative Law Group, Founding Member
- New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member