Divorce Litigation Steps
Making the decision to move forward with a divorce can be an intimating step. A divorce often affects families physically, psychologically, financially and emotionally. We understand that on top of that strain it is difficult to navigate the family legal system with ease. Turn to the Law Offices of Steven P. Monaghan for help. For more than 60 combined years we have been guiding our clients through the process of divorce and other family law issues.
Turn to reliable, compassionate legal representation, call the Law Offices of Steven P. Monaghan at (732) 624-6343 for your free initial consultation.
We Can Help Relieve Your Divorce-Related Stress
Knowing what to expect can help relieve anyone’s stress. Keeping you informed of the divorce process and how that impacts your specific situation is one of our priorities. Below you can find a basic divorce process outline:
- Initial pleadings This document includes grounds for divorce, and is filed with the superior court. The other party can either file a counterclaim, an answer, or depending on the situation seek a default judgment.
- Temporary orders: Pendente lite orders may be requested to address issues like child custody and child support while the divorce is pending.
- Discovery: This is the process of obtaining information about the case that could help. Information can include bank records and other financial documents, as well as the identities of witnesses.
- Parent educational seminar and custody mediation: Designed to keep parents focused on the rights of their children and minimize the effect of conflict. If child custody is not resolved by agreement, mediation is required prior to any trial.
- Early settlement panel: Before a trial date is set, the parties must appear in a matrimonial early settlement panel to try to settle economic issues.
- Trial: If an agreement cannot be made the case will go to a judge at trial. After a decision is made an appeal is possible.
- Post-divorce steps: After a divorce modification of orders can be made when the need arises to change child support, child custody, and other issues.
This list is a very basic outline of the divorce litigation process in New Jersey. In our experience, we have found that there are many twists and turns along the way, so throughout the divorce litigation process, we remain at our client's side, guiding and giving counsel.
Get Help Walking Through the Divorce Litigation Process? Talk to Us.
If you are uncertain about how the divorce litigation process will work in your case, talk to us, the lawyers at the Law Offices of Steven P. Monaghan, LLC. We have over six decades of combined experience and can give you a good idea of what may happen.
Contact us at (732) 624-6343 to arrange for your free initial consultation.
Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey
Practicing Family Law Exclusively
Over 60 Years of Combined Experience
Recognized & Trusted by the New Jersey Community
Free In-Person Consultations