Child Support Without Filing Divorce

In New Jersey, you can file to receive child support without having to file for divorce. In fact, this is a good route under many different circumstances, such as when you are married but do not want a divorce or when you have never been married but share a child with someone.

In these situations, you would file under what is called the "FD docket."

We can help you get child support under the "FD docket." Call the experienced Monmouth County child support attorneys at the Law Office of Steven P. Monaghan, LLC at (732) 624-6343 to arrange for your free initial consultation.

What is the "FD Docket" & What Steps Do I Take?

Known as the nondissolution docket, filing under the FD docket means that you are not fully dissolving your relationship, but also provides you a way to obtain support from the other person.

Here are the steps for filing under the FD docket:

  • File a "Complaint and a Notice of Summary Action for Child Support"
  • Complete the "Financial Statement for Summary Support Actions"
  • Provide last year's tax returns, W-2 statements three most recent pay stubs

Once the court has all of the relevant information, it will provide you with a date to come into court. Since it is a summary support action, the court should hold a hearing for child support on the day you come into court. If the court is missing information needed to calculate child support, then it may make you come back to court on several occasions. In most cases, the court will simply use the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines to determine the child support obligation.

If You Now Want to File for Divorce

If you determine at a later time that you would like to file for divorce, you may do so. However, you must request that any court orders entered under the FD docket are carried over to your matrimonial action. This can be a difficult process and you should consult a child support attorney before you begin.

Don't Want to Divorce but Want Child Support? We Can Help.

For over 60 combined years, the lawyers at the Law Office of Steven P. Monaghan, LLC have been helping clients like you successfully file to receive child support without first having to file for divorce.

Talk to our Monmouth County child support lawyers; your first consultation is free. Call (732) 624-6343or complete the online form.

Clients First. Quality Always.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Put Us On Your Side